Tooltip for field in row (or entire row)

We currently have a table that requires a lot of columns (namely pricing/cost/margin type fields) and it’s too much to expect the user to have to scroll horizontally through these. Is it possible to provide a tooltip rollover for a field or entire row that can show contextual data for said field/row? I’d rather not have to use a pop up, as it’ll save time being able to hover the mouse over and get the required info.

Hi Oliver,

Was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago.  Can you send me a screenshot of a table where/how you see this working?  Annotate the screenshot to demonstrate the idea.  

Have you explored the idea of using row drawers?  You can expand the row inline using a drawer to show extended information.

Regards,
Irvin

See in the screenshot attached, we have a lot more information we’d like to be able to quickly see (shown are example fields) and I would prefer if a user could simply hover over the 2nd quote line to see what’s in the drawer contents rather than have to move the pointer to the drawer button and click on/off.

Here’s an example

A quick jQuery solution anyone? 

Oliver, I plan to tackle tomorrow as I need a similar capability.  Will post my solution afterwards.

Hi, Meetings and more meetings got in the way of exploring a solution.  Still plan to tackle but maybe another day or two before I can post a full solution.  Meantime, take a look at this; may give you some ideas.  http://iamceege.github.io/tooltipster/

Rob,  How do I get access to the row item in focus so that I can dynamically update the content?

(function(skuid){ var $ = skuid.$;<br>function registerTooltip() {<br> &nbsp; &nbsp;$('tr.nx-item').poshytip({<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; followCursor: true,<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; slide: false,<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; content: function(updateCallback){<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;var item = $(this);<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;console.log('item: ' + item);<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;return 'Hey, this must be dynamic content!';<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; }<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; });<br>} <br>$('.nx-page').one('pageload', function() {<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; registerTooltip();<br>&nbsp; &nbsp; });<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;<br>})(skuid);

Did you get anywhere with this Irvin?

Hey Oliver, I had an open question to the Skuid dev team. Skuid team / Anyone, Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Irvin