Theme composer loading issue with Brooklyn Iteration 4

Hi Roman, I’m sorry this is continuing to cause you problems. I appreciate your taking the time to illustrate this for us. To tick off a few checkboxes:

-Have you made sure your out of date themes are up to date after updating your Skuid version?
-Have you tried the suggestion Amy made above? “In Chrome, can you try opening the Chrome developer console (CMD-OPT-j) and then long-clicking the refresh button at the top left of your window? Then, select Empty Cache and Hard Reload from the little dropdown that appears. I think that will help with your custom themes (that aren’t clones).”

I know you’ve tried this in a new Chrome user, and in Safari as well. I didn’t see if any console errors showed for you - did you observe any?

Hi Mark. 1. Out of Date themes? Yes, after upgrading to 9.5.6 I hit the button to update. And even that page froze after updating. I knew it would take several mins potentially, so I left that open for a while, and opened up Themes in a new tab. When I saw that the button to update was no longer there, I assumed I was good to go. 2. I have tried Amy’s suggestion of the Hard Reset and Empty Cache earlier today. Although not during the recording. 3. Didn’t observe any console errors. Which is promising. There is one theme (not in the video) which returns a console error. But could just be that theme. I will post a screenshot of that console error this evening if I can replicate. Cheers!

Here is the console error I was getting on that one theme i mentioned. (Pretty sure this is the 1st custom theme we built so it may have been created using a Skuid release from many moons ago. :p)

Also, re-tried Hard Reset/Empty Cache method and honestly, it seems random. Some times it will work and allow me to make edits to theme, but even then if I save and re-open, I’m stuck again.

The kicker is that if I try the Hard Reset/Empty Cache a 2nd time, I’m stuck indefinitely. Won’t work like it did the first time. Really odd.

Something I just thought of… Take a look at this video that I posted here: https://community.skuid.com/t/theme-versioning?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by…

Doesn’t that video point to the fact that the “Update Out of Date Themes” button does not work as intended?

In theory, if I updated all of my themes, and then did a Hard Reset/Empty Cache, why when I opened up the theme did I have “unsaved changes”? By the looks of it, significant styling changes that were not updated.

Earlier I posted that:

1. Out of Date themes? Yes, after upgrading to 9.5.6 I hit the button to update. And even that page froze after updating. I knew it would take several mins potentially, so I left that open for a while, and opened up Themes in a new tab. When I saw that the button to update was no longer there, I assumed I was good to go.
Definitely something buggy with that button I suspect.
(Sorry for the triple-post. Bad etiquette :p)

Thank you for posting this information and the console error. I’m continuing to look at the issues you’re bringing up here to circle around a specific error or step in the update/load theme process that could be misbehaving - Would you be able to tell me how many custom themes you have? 

Frankly, most of our custom themes are very similar clones of each other - primarily because of the issues we’re discussing and trying to fix. So we rename theme things like Theme02 and ThemeNew and ThemeBackup haha! I believe currently there are 4-5 custom themes total. But ideally we should only need 2. One for our internal SF org. And a second for a Customer Community we want to launch within a week or two.

Mark, can you unmark this as “Solved”.

Good news is that we’ve upgraded to the latest release - Skuid 10.0 - and I just tried editing our custom theme (both in Incognito Mode and in a regular Chrome Window). In both cases, the page finishes loading without any errors!

For those still struggling, another trick that Mark suggested is that “the Update Out Of Date Themes button will resurface if you import a theme.”

So I imported a copy of our theme and can confirm that I was able to edit the Theme without clicking that button. Full disclosure though: I am hesitant to click that button, as right now, we seem to have Custom Theme Editing working perfectly.

Long-term, Theme Versioning as a feature would be great, so that I could easily rollback the ‘Update Out-of-Date Themes’ button if an error were to occur or a theme became ‘stuck’ after an unsuccessful update.

But for now, we seem to be running smoothly on Skuid 10.0.
Thanks again for all your help Mark & Amy.