Rich Text Field Not Working

Hi Kaede,

I’m sorry you’ve had continued frustrations on this issue. I am testing a similar configuration Skuid version 11.1.18 to what you’re reporting in Skuid version 11.1.18. In Skuid classic, the two components together in a Skuid page are still causing the issue you reported.

However, in your video, I saw that you’re running in Lightning now. When I test the same page in Lightning with the Skuid page running natively (meaning, deployed via the Skuid Page Lightning component), the Chatter feed and rich text field in edit mode are cooperating as expected. You’re seeing the classic Chatter feed in your video, that would be because you’ve got an iframe in the mix, which makes Skuid think it’s not operating in Lightning, so it doesn’t load the Lightning Chatter.

Are you able to test the scenario out in Lightning? I’ll share the XML for my page below, but it’s got a custom rich text field that you’d want to replace with a rich text field you can test with. If you’re on an older version of Skuid, this might not work correctly, but it looks promising in Lightning + Skuid 11.1.18 so far.

<skuidpage unsavedchangeswarning="yes" personalizationmode="server" showsidebar="true" useviewportmeta="true" showheader="true">
    <models>
        <model id="acc" limit="1" query="true" createrowifnonefound="false" datasource="salesforce" sobject="Account">
            <fields>
                <field id="RecordTypeId"/>
                <field id="Name"/>
                <field id="Id"/>
                <field id="RichTextExperiment__c"/>
            </fields>
            <conditions/>
            <actions/>
        </model>
    </models>
    <components>
        <social model="acc" uniqueid="sk-2pyU-249">
            <actions/>
        </social>
        <basicfieldeditor showheader="true" showsavecancel="true" showerrorsinline="true" model="acc" uniqueid="sk-2pyU-344" mode="read">
            <columns>
                <column width="50%">
                    <sections>
                        <section title="Section A">
                            <fields>
                                <field uniqueid="sk-2pyU-345" id="RecordTypeId"/>
                                <field uniqueid="sk-2pyU-346" id="Name"/>
                                <field uniqueid="sk-2pyU-347" id="Id"/>
                            </fields>
                        </section>
                    </sections>
                </column>
                <column width="50%">
                    <sections>
                        <section title="Section B" collapsible="no">
                            <fields>
                                <field uniqueid="sk-2pyU-348" id="RichTextExperiment__c"/>
                            </fields>
                        </section>
                    </sections>
                </column>
            </columns>
        </basicfieldeditor>
    </components>
    <resources>
        <labels/>
        <javascript/>
        <css/>
        <actionsequences uniqueid="sk-2pyU-218"/>
    </resources>
    <styles>
        <styleitem type="background" bgtype="none"/>
    </styles>
</skuidpage>

Thanks so much.

Some users are on lightning, some are not. Does this work for classic and lightning?

Hi Kaede. The limitation still exists in Classic in the most recent versions of Skuid. I am checking in with our engineering team on any updates to the issue. As I alluded to before, lifting this limitation requires a fundamental change to the backend of how Skuid is enabling rich text editing in Classic Salesforce. Lightning-deployed Skuid pages are able to use Lightning’s own (newer) rich text editor so that’s why the same pages behave differently between Lightning and Classic Salesforce.

bump

I still have issues with this in Lightning. Using the workaround causes other problems for the user - like double scroll bars and weird issues when trying to upload/view/preview files. 

https://cl.ly/18636cc154f4

https://cl.ly/87c9adf6ceb3

Hi Kaede, I have a couple follow-up questions:
Which release of Skuid are you using currently?
Are you deploying the pictured Skuid page via Visualforce, or iframe? 

My understanding is that the issue is resolved in Lightning now that Skuid doesn’t use CKEditor in Lightning any more, but remains a limitation in Classic. In your videos, it looks like you’ve got the Classic version of Chatter, instead of the Lightning version. Skuid tries to detect which environment it’s in, and load the corresponding version of Chatter. If Skuid isn’t inside the Lightning Component, it’ll load the Classic Chatter feed like you’re seeing here. Have you tried deploying your Skuid page natively with the Skuid Page Lightning component

Hi Mark! Thanks for getting back to me. 

I’m on version 11.2.11. The skuid page is deployed via visualforce but the chatter component is being included via iframe in order to make it possible for people to “use” it even though it’s janky. 

Not sure why it’s loading the classic version of chatter even though I’m in lightning experience. 

Our users still toggle between classic and lightning. What’s the best way to deploy so it works for everyone regardless of whether they are in lightning or classic?

It seems like I can’t allow for both lightning and classic overrides if I have two different pages to display based on record type. 

Mark - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I will work on skuid page lightning component overrides for all my objects.

While it is looking a lot better and the rich text + chatter components are rendering properly I’m still running into a strange error when trying to interact with some parts of the chatter feed: https://cl.ly/6cf4b7a85665

Have you seen this before?

Here’s the error text
[Cannot read property ‘tagName’ of null]
Proxy.c()@https://columnfive.lightning.force.com/resource/1541020678000/skuid__SkuidReqsJS:1:73262
Proxy.dispatch()@https://columnfive.lightning.force.com/resource/1537232010000/skuid__VendorJS:2:19404
Proxy.q.handle()@https://columnfive.lightning.force.com/resource/1537232010000/skuid__VendorJS:2:17419

Kaede, I haven’t seen an error like that before, but it sounds like something on the backend is having trouble trying to find an HTML element.  I’m glad this is looking a lot better. Would you be able to share a simple page’s XML that’s demonstrating this issue (and which actions are causing the error)? I see you’re on Skuid 11.2.11, which is just about to up-to-date. 

Also, have you by any chance tried the out-of-the-box Chatter Lightning component alongside your Skuid page, to see if the behavior persists? One of the nice things about Lightning is that you can put components alongside your Skuid pages pretty easily, so if there’s nothing about your use-case that requires the Chatter feed to be inside the Skuid page, putting it beside or below the Skuid page in the Lightning App Builder Page might be an option too.