Model that contains Data with accented characters doesn't export properly

Defect/Issue Description:
Model that contains Data with accented characters doesn’t export properly

Environment:

  • API Version: v2
  • Release: Boston
  • Release version: 13.0.17
  • Platform: Salesforce

Brief Summary of the Defect/Issue:
If the data in the model contains characters with accents, when the user exports that data the characters get turned into weird symbols.

From what I read only, I believe the export needs to be prepended with ‘\uFEFF’, but I do not have the ability to do that using functions provided by skuid.

Action Performed:

  1. Create a new row for a UI Model
  2. Set any field in the model to have an accented characters, e.g. ‘upe, upę and upē’
  3. Export the data via model or the table.

Expected Result:
The accented characters to be in the export instead of weird symbols.

Actual Result:
Accented characters are replaced by symbols

Additional Resources:

<skuid__page unsavedchangeswarning="yes" personalizationmode="server">
	<models>
		<model id="UIModel" limit="20" query="true" createrowifnonefound="true" datasource="Ui-Only">
			<fields>
				<field id="Test1" displaytype="TEXT" length="255"/>
			</fields>
			<conditions/>
			<actions/>
		</model>
	</models>
	<pageregioncontents/>
	<components>
		<skuid__table allowColumnFreezing="dragDrop" model="UIModel" uniqueid="sk-2WT5-5729" mode="read">
			<fields>
				<field id="Test1" uniqueid="fi-2WTB-12801"/>
			</fields>
			<filtering enableSearch="false"/>
			<actions>
				<action type="multi" label="Add">
					<actions>
						<action type="createRow" model="UIModel" appendorprepend="prepend" defaultmodefornewitems="edit" affectedrows="all"/>
					</actions>
				</action>
			</actions>
			<rowActions/>
			<massActions/>
			<exportProperties useTableColumns="true" enableExportOptionOnTable="true"/>
			<sorting enable="false"/>
		</skuid__table>
	</components>
	<resources>
		<labels/>
		<javascript/>
		<css/>
		<actionsequences/>
	</resources>
	<styles>
		<styleitem type="background" bgtype="none"/>
	</styles>
</skuid__page>

Thank you,
Lukas

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this @lukaspovilonis !

I have tested the export using Chicago Update 1 (14.3.5.0) and it did return the correct accent in the export.

Looking now to see if this is fixed in the latest Boston version.

Stay tuned

so far I’m still not able to reproduce this using the latest version of Boston. Can you send me an example export file so i can see what it looks like?

@lukaspovilonis what are you exporting the data to as well as what are you using to view that data?

It could be a software issue not being able to render/ interpret those values or an issue with in the Skuid version you are on.

Sorry for the delayed reply, and thank you for taking a look at it.

I Have checked again, I also checked on 14.3.6 on a different sandbox, both had the same outcomes.

As you said it is working if I opened the export in notepad or vs code, but it would not work if I opened it in excel.

This is due to a known bug in Excel, encoding and stuff like that are beyond my understanding, but I believe the best fix would be to include a BOM (e.g. ‘\uFEFF’), nonetheless the link below explains why it’s an issue and potentially how to fix it :

One of the workarounds is to open the file in a text editor and save as UTF-8 BOM.
Another one is to use Excel functionality called ‘Get Data From Text’, further instructions can be found below:

Best,
Lukas

1 Like

Thanks, @lukaspovilonis for sharing this.

I have passed this up to the team and I will follow up with you once I hear back.

Cheers,

1 Like