Error "Record Type ID: this ID value isn't valid for the user" when creating a new record

I have created a popup to capture a new record.  In the Model, I have a Condition to tie the record to a specific record type ID because there are multiple record types in this object.  When I create the new record, the correct record type ID shows on my form.  However when I attempt to save it I am getting an error message:  “Record Type ID: this ID value isn’t valid for the user”.  I have verified that the user profile has access to this record type.  Any ideas why I’m getting this error?

Check that the users profile has the record type assigned to them.

Hey Pat.  Thanks for the response.  I’m testing with the System Admin profile and have verified that it has access to that record type.

You could try other record type Id’s and see if it is an issue with any or just that one…

I tried changing the criteria from the ID to the ID Name and that appears to be working.  Not sure what the difference is.  Thanks for your input Raymond!

Huh??? Not sure how that’s working. ID Name? Not sure anything is happening there accept that the default record type is used. You can’t set the record type via the Name when creating a new record.

You’re absolutely right Pat.  I got rid of the error message, but didin’t notice until your comment that it reverted to the default record type which is not what I need.  I changed it back to the ID and I’m now getting what I need in terms of the correct record type.  (I can only assume there was something inaccurate about the ID I was using previously.)  However what I see now is that when I click the button to create a new record, it’s opening the popup pre-populated with the record that currently exists as opposed to giving me a blank form.

How is the model setup for the new record? Can you paste the XML here?

Before your popup open, you probably want to add a “create new row” action.

Thanks Raymond!  That’s what I needed.  Thank you all so much for your assistance.  I was just thrown into an existing Skuid deployment and tasked with making some changes.  I don’t have a lot of experience working with this UI so I really appreciate you generously sharing your knowledge!

It sounds like you’ve found the root of your problem, but I just wanted to add that it can be tricky to rely on record type ID#s in uses like this if your pages are moved from a sandbox to a production org, because those can change from org to org. 

Thanks for the heads up on that Mark.  Is there another alternative you would suggest?  I need the new records to always be a specific record type and I only want to display records of that type in my table.

Pat - here is the XML for that Model:

        <model type="" id="RiskAssessmentExit" limit="20" query="true" createrowifnonefound="true" sobject="Risk_Assessment_Review__c" orderby="CreatedDate DESC" datasource="salesforce" doclone="">
                <field id="Exit_Answer_1__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_2__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_3__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_4__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_5__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_6__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Answer_7__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_1A__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_1B__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_1C__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_1D__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_2__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_4__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_3__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_5__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_5A__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_5B__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_6__c"/>
                <field id="Exit_Question_7__c"/>
                <field id="Name"/>
                <field id="Date_Review_Submitted__c"/>
                <field id="Date_Review_Approved__c"/>
                <field id="RecordTypeId"/>
                <field id="RecordType.Name"/>
                <field id="Restricted_Client_Information__c"/>
                <field id="Restricted_Client_Information__r.Name"/>
                <condition type="fieldvalue" value="012G00000010tnm" field="RecordTypeId" operator="=" mergefield="Id" novaluebehavior="noquery" enclosevalueinquotes="true" state=""/>
                <condition type="modelmerge" value="" field="Restricted_Client_Information__c" operator="=" model="RCI" enclosevalueinquotes="true" mergefield="Id" novaluebehavior="noquery"/>
            <groupby method="simple"/>

When you’re filtering existing records based on their record type, the record type name is the best option. But given what Pat says above, creating a new record might just need that particular ID#. Alternatively, there might be a way to use an intermediate model to pull in your record types by name and ID#, and then grab the correct ID# from there and using it when creating a new row. This is just a rough idea. Depending on how many places this happens in your pages, it may be easier to just make a note to double check the record type ID#s as part of your migration process between orgs. 

Thanks Mark.   That step was actually on my deployment check list.  I always do that when I am hard coding an ID value.