Categorising contacts

Hi I’m setting up Salesforce for a nonprofit using the nonprofit salesforce package. The institution mainly tracks individual contacts. There are 5 main categories / roles that contacts slot into Legal, Media, Political, Donors. There are specific fields that uniquely apply to each category such as a judge checkbox and where they are a judge, which fall under Legal. Newspaper checkbox and where, which fall under Media etc. So when adding, viewing and editing a contact, I only want the fields that apply to their specific category to show up. Assigining pages to roles only applies to a) Accounts, which we dont use, and b) Campaigns, which is a cumbersome way to set things up being that we don’t use the campaign section either. They run campaigns / projects elsewhere, on Wrike i Believe, which is a much more robust solution for them. Is there any way I can somehow go about creating this sort of functionality, in the best way for the user? Cheers and thanks, I hope I’ve described my problem well enough!

Hi I think I’ve found the answer, I didn’t know you could create record types for individual contacts, so once I do that, it works. Now I just have to create some sort of Wizard when creating a contact, that initially asks what record type they are, and then displays the appropriate page.

Netanel, the easiest way to have different fields / sections displayed based on Contact “type” is, as you discovered, to have a separate RecordType for each type, and then create separate Skuid Pages corresponding to different Contact Record Types, and use Skuid Page Assignments to assign each Page to the specific Record Type. If this does not work for some reason, and you really need to show/hide fields or sections of your pages dynamically based on a Picklist field value, this is technically possible, but it requires creating a Custom Field Renderer, using a JavaScript Snippet, for your “Person Type” picklist field. Within that Snippet, you would basically be saying “if picklist value is X, then show/hide these Fields or Sections”, so you’ll have to have a decent level of comfort writing JavaScript to get this to work for your scenario and make sure you’re showing/hiding the correct fields / sections of your Field Editor components.