Fontawesome icons for Partner/Customer Community Users

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
We were super excited to roll out the "Banzai'd" version of our Skuid pages...only to have our dreams crushed when we discovered that the Fontawesome icons appear to be broken for our Partner/Community users. I suspect that this has something to do with their access to static resources in SF.

Is there a solution?

Here is what's happening:

Working just fine for internal users -

Fontawesome icons appear broken for Partner/Community Users -
Photo of Gary Bailey

Gary Bailey

• 1,648 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • so sad

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Gary Bailey

Gary Bailey

SOLVED!

Since Partner/Community Users don't often have access to Static Resources, you will need add a link to the font-awesome webfonts to the css of your page.

Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

• 5,456 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Gary can you provide the full url that you used?
Photo of Gary Bailey

Gary Bailey

I'm not sure if my solution is the correct one, but it definitely works.  I'm on Skuid 7.16.  

The full url that I put in the parent tab page is:

//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css

Also, just as a test (since I have upgraded my version of Skuid since I first posted this), I removed my external resource link to the FontAwesome resource and the FontAwesome icons no longer worked for my partner users.  
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

That worked! Thanks
Photo of Rob Hatch

Rob Hatch, Official Rep

• 44,828 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Glad you got this fixed.  Thanks for documenting your fix for posterity. 
Photo of Zach McElrath

Zach McElrath, Employee

• 53,702 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gary, what version of Skuid are you running? If you're not using the latest version, try installing it from the Skuid Releases page, and then try removing your external resource load, that may fix it as well.
Photo of Tony Sirna

Tony Sirna

• 986 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same problem on a Force.com site. It can't load these files:

http://orgname.force.com/resource/skuid__Fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.2.0
http://orgname.force.com/resource/skuid__Fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.2.0<br><br>It appears that the name of the Site is missing. These URLs should be:<br><br>
http://orgname.force.com/<b>SiteName</b>/resource/skuid__Fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.2.0
http://orgname.force.com/<code><b>SiteName</b>/resource/skuid__Fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.2.0

Other resources have the correct URL like:

/resource/1443745666000/Sub/silk-sprite.png

I was not able to fix this as Gary did, but maybe I just need a better URL for the webfont.

FYI I am on Skuid 7.7.

Tony
Photo of Rob Hatch

Rob Hatch, Official Rep

• 44,828 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Tony.  I would upgrade your version of Skuid.  We took care of some of the CORS issues with loading Font Awesome after 7.7 
Photo of Tony Sirna

Tony Sirna

I installed Skuid 7.16 and still am getting the same problems. Still trying to download font Awesome from the same URLs that give an error.
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

I am experiencing the same issue with Community logins not seeing the icons. I have installed the latest version of Skuid but the icons still don't show up. Is there an external link that will work?
Photo of Zach McElrath

Zach McElrath, Employee

Tami / Tony, can you Grant Login Access to Skuid Support and email us your org Ids? I am not seeing this in our test orgs for Community functionality.
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

Zach I have granted you login access and emailed you the org Id. Thanks!
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

Zach,

As an FYI Gary's solution works the icons are brought it but only with adding the external url.
Photo of Tony Sirna

Tony Sirna

Sent you the org ID and granted access.
Photo of Tony Sirna

Tony Sirna

Tami - what external URL did you use?
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

Tony,

Gary provided the URL he used: 

//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css
Photo of Zach McElrath

Zach McElrath, Employee

Official Response
For anyone experiencing this issue, here is what we recommend: go to the Skuid Releases page, install Banzai Update 3, and then once it is installed, go to the "Theme" tab, and if you are using custom Themes, click "Update Out of Date Themes". This should resolve the issue.
Photo of Tony Sirna

Tony Sirna

The upgrade worked on standard themes but not on my custom theme, even after I did "Update Out of Date Themes". I went into the custom theme and clicked save and that fixed the problem.

Thanks so much for fixing this problem!
Photo of Matt Sones

Matt Sones, Champion

• 32,106 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Tony. Apparently you just have to open your custom themes and save them again. Skuid... can you take care of updating custom themes as well as the stock themes with the 'update' button?
Photo of Tami Lust

Tami Lust

This update has fixed the icon issue. Tony thanks for the saving tip!