Critical Need for Reference Field Hover-Overs

• Problem
  • Updated 6 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Old questions

We use the hover-over capability of Salesforce ALL the time on the Account and Contact pages. We use it to "see" what Company/Account record/location a contact is linked to, to "see" who the direct superior is, to "see" the Parent Company, to "see" the CEO. Salesforce allows us to pick and choose what fields we want to see in hover-overs. We tuck away details that inform the work we're doing on the page we're currently on.

Hover-overs keep us from having to click into the linked record to review the information it contains. By taking away basic Salesforce functionality, you are blinding us -- making it impossible to see what we need to see to do our work from the page that we're on. Ironically, you are forcing us to use more clicks than the already click-intensive Salesforce would have us use. In other words, not having hover-overs defeats the very purpose of Skuid.

A single popup on a row is not the answer. I need to review information contained in multiple types of records to which reference fields are linked. Sadly, until or unless we are able to get that same hover-over functionality, I do not believe we can deploy Skuid on Contact and Company/Account pages. It makes no sense to make more work for users . . .
Photo of krista06880

krista06880

• 816 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Rob Hatch

Rob Hatch, Official Rep

• 44,988 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Krista. The horse may be out of the barn on this one, but I've been thinking about your question all weekend and think I better at least map out some initial thoughts.

1. You are right. Skuid does not have the same feature that comes with standard salesforce where hover overs on reference fields can be configured to show information from the referenced object. In our declarative builder you cannot exactly replicate this behavior.

2. We are convinced that superior user experience is provided by having the necessary information show on the page directly - without resorting to a hover over. Standard salesforce pages do not allow you to pull in related information for lookup fields. But Skuid pages do. So rather than having to depend on the hover over (and teach your users to hover over the field to open the mysterious window), you can have the data about the CEO of the parent company directly available on the page. If you don't want to take up lots of space, our template fields allow for very compact display of a series of data elements. Our tab and panel components allow for very effective management of the page real estate so you can tuck away those details effectively.

3. If there is good reason for the hover over interaction. The custom renderers in our fields allow for the use of JavaScript to expose additional data. I recognize that this is not standard configuration, and requires some custom development. But the point is that it CAN be done.

I'm sure this is not satisfactory. But its the way Skuid feels about this issue. One person's bug is another's feature. Let me know what you think.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.