Ability to edit parent/lookup object fields in a table

I’m sure lots of us would love the ability to have editable fields from a parent or lookup object represented directly in a table. We didn’t seem to have this here as an official proposal/idea, so I’m adding it for the purposes of tracking interest and possible progress. There are a few related solutions, like popping up an editor, drawers, or showing related objects’ fields as read-only, but not the prefect solution that my users want.

Yes.  that has been a story in our backlog for a good while.  We’d be very interested in hearing use cases where this would be helpful. 

This would be great for us. We built custom order/order item functionality four years ago before SF added this as standard functionality. It would be great to be able to change the status of the order inline on a table of order items. I created a drawer that lets me do this one at a time, but if it could be done in the row itself, then I could mass update multiple orders.

This would be an extremely helpful solution that provides a massive gap in the standard SF functionality. Current way of changing parent fields: 1. Define the child object - display in field editor 2. Query another model based on some relationship to the child object - display in field editor ~only works when you’re working in ‘detail model’ not ‘list mode’ ~‘list mode’ requires an additional action like a drawer, popup, or redirect New way: 1. Load a model in a table and edit fields all the way up the hierarchy

I have a junction object(B) (to permit many-to-many relationships between two other objects (A and C)).  While I can create a table that shows fields from A and C, I don’t seem to be able to edit them at all.  In trying to determine what my problem is, I came across this issue.  Am I snookered?

You can do something to enable the functionality with javascript but its not straight forward. Best to use a row action to present the records from a model on A or C in a popup or drawer.

That’s tantalising - could you give me some pointers on the JS?  I am trying to perform mass updates on all selected rows in a table, so already wrote a custom snippet to do this and would happily extend it.  That’s the main reason why popup/drawer options are not my preference when attempting to change many rows at once.

Oh my … this would very much be a can of worms. Pointers are too many too start to be honest.

Need this feature to edit the related object on the table. Any idea if this will come soon?