Running User Attributes - Include Custom User Fields

I’ve had to add a User model all too often in order to get just one custom fields value.

Can you add custom fields on the User to the list of Running User Attributes?

Second this.  Also handy would be to reference lookup relationships.  For example, community users have a lookup reference to their corresponding contact, which can be tied to a variety of things.

This would be fantastic. We want to be able to render parts of our pages based on a large number of different fields on the user record. Also would be great if you could render based on a public group membership.

Adrian,

You can build a model on the GroupMember object to support conditional rendering.  Another option is to use Permission Sets (use object PermissionSetAssignment).

Thanks,

Bill

Bill - we haven’t had luck with Permission set, because our non sys admins can’t “see” the model.  Groups work well, except it is another place to keep track of things permission based.  Do you have a trick to get permission sets working?

Thanks Bill, I will get my team to try that!

Chandra,

What version of Salesforce (Enterprise/Unlimited?) are you using and what user license types (Salesforce, Platform, Community?) do you experience this problem?  I have not seen any problems getting the query to Permission Set Assignment working, but I also haven’t tried this with all combination of Salesforce version and license types.

Thanks,

Bill

Allowing users to query permission set membership may require giving them the “view setup” system permission.  That’s not always a good thing…

We have Enterprise, a mix of Standard and Platform licenses.  I think the View Setup is the missing link.  Works fine for system admins, but our regular users can’t “see” the logic, so it doesn’t apply it.

Chandra,

We definitely have View Setup enabled…that is the difference from your users to ours.  Groups should work for you and you can always create some custom objects to mimic Permission Sets and Assignments.

Thanks,

Bill