Challenges with picklist values when record types are used with Skuid and Salesforce’s Summer ‘17 Re

Please be advised of an issue with record types when using Skuid and Salesforce’s Summer ‘17 release. As of Friday May 5th, only sandboxes and preview orgs are running Summer ‘17.

Where do I find what version I am running?

1. Check https://status.salesforce.com/status and click on your instance to see which version of Salesforce your instance is running.

2. Log in to your org and look at the logo in the upper left hand corner.

• If you see a rainbow, you are still on Spring ‘17.

• If you see two birds, you are on Summer ‘17.

How Would This Look in My Org?

If your org is NOT on Summer ‘17, you are not affected yet. Please check https://status.salesforce.com/status and click on your instance to see when you are getting upgraded to Summer ‘17.

If you try to view a Skuid page where any of the records’ record type has an empty selected values list for the picklist, such as shown below,

your Skuid page will not load and you will get an error that looks like

What’s Being Done About This?

Our product engineers are aware of this issue and working hard on a patch for this issue. We are hoping to get this patch out to all of you in the next few days. We will update you as soon as that is available.

We have opened an urgent case with Salesforce support regarding changes in the metadata provided by Salesforce in the Summer ‘17 release. We will update you as that progresses.

What Can I Do In the Meantime?

Unfortunately, the workaround is a manual one at this point. Go through your record types and make sure that every picklist field has at least one selected value. That may mean needing to add a N/A value to the original picklist and selecting that for the record types where that’s the only valid option.

Great work! A month ahead of my instance getting the Summer 17 release!!

Hi Karen,

Each picklist that is being used in skuid page has a default value set for each record type on the custom object but I still get the error.

Unfortunately, it includes picklists that aren’t being brought onto the page as well. Any picklists associated with any of the record type on the page must have at least one value. Does that help resolve the issue?

Okay, got it. Seems to be working now.

Any idea by when we can have the package available?

Karen,

Thanks for the detailed write up and workaround.

Are you planning to release the fix for the Banzai and Rockaway versions of Skuid?

Bill

Update from Skuid

Good news! Our developers were able to identify the change in Salesforce’s Summer ‘17 Release that was causing Skuid pages to be blank when there are no selected values for picklists for record types. We have packaged the code that addresses this issue in the following patch releases that are now available on the Skuid releases page. Please see the release notes for more detail.

• Rockaway Iteration 15
  • Brooklyn Iteration 7
  • Brooklyn Update 1 - Iteration 6
As a reminder, Salesforce does NOT allow reverting back to prior versions of managed packages. Skuid always recommends installing new versions in a non-business critical sandbox environment to test all mission critical functionality before installing into a production environment. We also recommend that you update out of date themes when you upgrade. Please let us know if you continue to encounter any problems with this issue after upgrading. 

What Else Is Being Done

We are aware that some of you are on releases before Rockaway so Skuid is continuing to engage Salesforce's support to investigate and address the root cause of the problem. We will update you as we get more information from them. If you are so inclined, please feel free to open a case with Salesforce so they are aware how widespread the impact of the change is. In the meantime, you will need to apply the manual workaround outlined above.

Thanks for your patience and for alerting us of this issue!  

Thanks Karen for explaining the issue.  We are currently on the Banzai version of Skuid, and are planning on upgrading to Brooklyn later this year.  But we are seeing this issue in our sandboxes since they were updated to Summer 17.  

Do you have an update from your development team if there will be a patch for Banzai?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Unfortunately, Skuid is no longer pushing any patches back to Banzai. We recommend using the manual fix mentioned in the “What do I do in the meantime” section of the original post. Please go through your record types and make sure that every picklist field has at least one selected value (even if that value is something like “n/a”).

Hope this helps!

Update from Skuid

Good news!!! Salesforce R&D has confirmed that our issue where the Skuid page goes blank if there are any picklists with No Selected Values for a record type is indeed due to a bug in Summer ‘17. There is a Salesforce patch scheduled for a few weeks from now where this issue will be addressed. We will update the community when that patch gets deployed.

What Does That Mean For My Org?

Unfortunately, Salesforce’s Summer ‘17 release starts hitting prod orgs tomorrow. Please check https://status.salesforce.com/status and click on your instance to see when you are getting upgraded to Summer ‘17.

If your instance is getting upgraded to Summer ‘17 before Salesforce’s patch goes out, you will need to either

• Install one of Skuid’s versions that has our patch for the issue from the Skuid releases page (Rockaway Iteration 15, Brooklyn Iteration 7, or Brooklyn Update 1 - Iteration 6). As a reminder, Salesforce does NOT allow reverting back to prior versions of managed packages. Skuid always recommends installing new versions in a non-business critical sandbox environment to test all mission critical functionality before installing into a production environment. We also recommend that you update out of date themes when you upgrade.

• Use the workaround provided in the original message about this issue. Go through your record types and make sure that every picklist field has at least one selected value. That may mean needing to add a N/A value to the original picklist and selecting that for the record types where that’s the only valid option.

If your instance is getting upgraded to Summer ‘17 after Salesforce’s patch goes out, you should not need to do anything.

What If I Already Installed One of Skuid's Patches?

If you have already installed one of our patches for this issue, you are all set. There should be no issues with having both Skuid's patch and Salesforce's patch. If you find this to not be true, please let us know!!!

Is This The Final Word On This Issue?

We’re ALMOST there … you should be receiving only one more update from me about the full resolution of this issue once the Salesforce patch gets released.

Thanks for your patience as we got to this point.

Karen

Good stuff. na55 is June 9.

Karen,

When is Salesforce going to release the patch for this bug?  Can you provide the link to the Known Issue?

Thanks,

Bill

Salesforce has released the link for this Known Issue. Please feel free to click the This Issue Affects Me button to 1. be sent updates regarding the known issue and 2. to show Salesforce how many people this issue is affecting. We will be following it and update the community when the issue is resolved.

Thanks!
Karen

Hi Karen,

Can I install the Skuid patch for this issue in my Production org before Summer’17 is upgraded which is June 10th for my instance, say install the Skuid patch on June 10th prior to the scheduled time for Summer’17 upgrade.  Or do I have to wait till my Production instance gets upgraded to Summer’17 to install the Skuid patch? 

Thanks!
Usha

Two Phase Resolution

The known issue (W-3976641) that caused this symptom was originally scheduled to be resolved 5/30. Due to the complexity of the fix, Salesforce’s R&D has split the resolution into two phases, with a full resolution in the Winter ‘18 Release.

1. A workaround (W-4002089) will temporarily resolve the symptoms and is coming out in the next few weeks. We will update you again when this is released.

2. The changes in the Winter ‘18 release will override the workaround and comes as two parts.

• Full resolution of the original known issue (W-3976641)

• Resolution of the root cause of the issue: the ability to create empty picklists for record types via change sets (W-4002046).

Our Recommendation

If you were waiting for Salesforce to resolve this issue before your production org gets moved to Summer ‘17, we would recommend that you either

• Install one of Skuid’s versions that has our patch for the issue from the Skuid releases page (Rockaway Iteration 15, Brooklyn Iteration 7, or Brooklyn Update 1 - Iteration 6). As a reminder, Salesforce does NOT allow reverting back to prior versions of managed packages. Skuid always recommends installing new versions in a non-business critical sandbox environment to test all mission critical functionality before installing into a production environment. We also recommend that you update out of date themes when you upgrade.

• Use the workaround provided in the original message about this issue. Go through your record types and make sure that every picklist field has at least one selected value. That may mean needing to add a N/A value to the original picklist and selecting that for the record types where that’s the only valid option.

Thanks for your continued patience with this!
Karen 

Usha~

No, you should not wait until your prod org is on summer '17 as you will want to test it thoroughly before installing into a prod org. Salesforce does NOT allow reverting back to prior versions of managed packages so Skuid always recommends installing new versions, including patches like this one, in a non-business critical sandbox environment to test all mission critical functionality before installing into a production environment. We also recommend that you update out of date themes when you upgrade. 

Hope that helps!
Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your response. We tested the Skuid patch in our testing environment and  we are ready to install it in our Production org. But wanted to know if the patch should be installed only after the Summer’17 update in our Production environment (June 10th) or can be done prior.

Thank you,
Usha

Usha~

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification! No, no reason to wait until June 10th. Go for it now if everything checks out in the sandbox!

Karen

Good news! 

Salesforce has completed Phase one!
Salesforce has published the patch that contains the temporary workaround for the null picklist values for record types. If you are still seeing the getPicklistEntriesValidForRecordTypes error in the console, please let us know and we will bring this up with Salesforce that the workaround did not resolve the issue.

What Does This Mean For My Org?
If your prod org is not yet on Summer '17 (i.e. you are part of the final production release scheduled for this weekend), you are no longer required either to utilize the manual workaround or to upgrade your Skuid version to one that contains our fix for the issue (Rockaway Iteration 15, Brooklyn Iteration 7, Brooklyn Update 1 - Iteration 6).

Phase Two
Here are the known issues that are scheduled to be addressed in Winter '18: 

• W-4002046 Resolution of the root cause of the issue: The ability to create empty picklists for record types
  • W-3976641 Full resolution of the original issue. 
We will update you again when these issues are resolved completely.

Thanks!
Karen