Field in Object links to another object in the same 'table' - How to do a lookup?

Ok, I’m fully confused now. I thought I had this, but it’s not working like expected

I have the reference field lookup setup. I have the fields I’d like to display in the lookup table in the model under the reference field (SchoolLink__r.DisplayName__c, SchoolLink__r.ExternalID__c, etc).

I have the search properties setup as below in the image (the selected fields in the model are on the left.)

The “Search Template” seems to do nothing. Anything I put in there makes no difference with the lookup table view.

If I add the fields to the “Search Fields”, they show up in the lookup table view.

• I added a filter on some fields and that works perfectly.

Perhaps I’m just totally misunderstanding the “Search Template” field. From Emily’s comment above, and what I recall, it understood that this is were you specify what fields are displayed in the lookup table list.

As I understand it, the ‘Search Fields’ is where I specify which field I want the “Search” field on the lookup table list to search.

What does “Search Template” do?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas…
Seth