Disable double click to edit in a table

It would be great if in a table the double click to edit function could be disabled, forcing users to click the edit icon. For some users it is not intuitive on how to back out of the edit function. When a user double clicks a row and doesn’t want to make any changes it is confusing because the “Cancel” button is not active. 

I have another solution for you. Let human resources know about these users. :smiley:

Unless the users are from human resources. :wink:

A hack solution that I have implemented for a customer goes as follows. 

1. Remove Save/Cancel from the Table. 
  2. Add Page title with two buttons.   Both Buttons should be “run multiple actions” 
  3. Button 1 is labled Save.  It has a single action with is to save the relevant model. 
  4. Button 2 is labled Cancle.  It has a single action with is to cancel the model. 
Pros.  This makes the Cancel button always availalbe.  When row has been put in edit mode (but no changes have been made) it will remove the row from edit mode. 

Cons. You don’t get the uber-cool “Light up on changes” functionality.  But maybe that’s not as important to your users as following thier mental model that suggests cancel should take a row back out of edit mode. 

Hopefull that helps. 

If you want to simulate the uber-cool “Light up on changes” functionality for the save button, you could use conditional rendering on the Save button, so it only shows up if there are unsaved changes on the row. Not having the save button there all the time might freak your users out, though (even if there are no unsaved changes).

That’s not a bad idea… though it might be a jarring user experience. 

Thank you for all the great ideas. I will give them a try and see which one resonates with the users.