Ideas to improve the calendar component

I am just putting the finishing touches on our first implementation of Skuid in our shiny new Salesforce instance. While developing our calendar functions, I thought of a few functions I believe would greatly enhance the calendar: Idea: Allow users to choose # of rows for time increments on Weekly view Reason: Currently, every 15 minutes has its own row. It would be great if I could specify if only every half hour or hour got its own row, because our calendar is uncomfortably tall to look at in a glance for the week. Idea: Highlight the current time on daily and weekly view Reason: From the weekly view or daily view, it would be great if a little orange line could indicate where we are in the day. It just helps our back-office staff who are constantly being interrupted to check the calendar see where they are quickly. Idea: Support all-day events on the calendar Reason: It might be difficult to implement, but these would be a great addition to the calendar. Birthdays, vacations, conferences, holidays, intern schedules, etc, are all things you don’t want taking up a time-space on the calendar, but would be nice to see at the top above the list of times. Wouldn’t really need this from the month view, but would be helpful on day and week view.

All of these are excellent ideas.

I agree, these are all great ideas. I’d like to add another: Idea: Gracefully handle busy month views. Reason: At present, if a day has a lot of events in it, that day’s box in the month view stretches to accommodate all the events. This can look a bit unwieldy for busy calendars. A better approach might be to do what Google Calendar does, which is to show as many events as can fit in the standard size box, then append a “+ x more” link that, when clicked, opens a popup displaying all the events for the day.

I agree with the month view being stretched and the need to format it similar to the google cal. It would also be nice to be able to apply merge field content independently for each view to customize it to work best depending on the view. Filters on the cal like you can filter table data and the ability to set recurring events from any model would really make it shine.

+1 to Support all-day events on the calendar 

I’d like to add a new one:

Idea: Week calendar with the month view (no hours, only events)
Reason: If you want to do a calendar and the only important is the day (not the hour) for example a deadline calendar, a ‘Task I have to do this day but I don’t care when’ calendar… Imagine the month calendar, but with only a week.
My case: I have a opportunity Close Date Calendar, And the close date is only a date, so I have two formula fields (closedate at 9am and closedate at 9pm) to be able to create a calendar, and If I can show only 1 week with this view it will be easier to integrate in home.

Pablo,  that is an interesting use case.  I have been working on a task calendar for a while and what you describe would be an interesting interface for showing “non hour” events.  We’ll take the idea under advisement. 

Thanks Rob :smiley:

A calendar is not only made out of time-to-time events! :p Activity Progress calendars based on an Object history, Deadlines calendar, Birthday calendar,… A lot of possibilities!

another +1 for all-day events.

Did this idea ever get implemented?

Idea: Highlight the current time on daily and weekly view 
Reason: From the weekly view or daily view, it would be great if a little orange line could indicate where we are in the day. It just helps our back-office staff who are constantly being interrupted to check the calendar see where they are quickly. 

This has not been implemented yet. It is on our backlog to be addressed.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled calendar all day event. Surprised I couldn’t find this as an idea.

Please enable all-day events in the calendar component using a date field.