Filter on child relationships

Thanks Ben, What I need to do is provide a way for the users to filter the records based on the values in the child relationship fields, rather than put a permant filter on them Note: This topic was created from a reply on the Combine records from detail objects topic.

I don’t think this is possible in Skuid right now, but I really want to do it. I’m starting this as an idea so we can vote it up.

Also! the ability to search on the values in child relationship fields would be very nice.

is there any update on this topic? This very important for the project I am working on.

I also need this feature for a table I need to build which will pull in information from 5 child objects

Sean,
 What are the 5 child objects you need to pull in… do you want to display data from 5 child objects, each in its own table… or are you saying you want one table that combines 5 child objects ?

I would like one table that combines 5 child objects. The main object is Policy which has a unique field called Policy Number and this field is common across the other 4 objects since all of them are related lists of Policy.

On another note I do have use for your 1st reference( data from 5 child objects, each in its own table) all on one page

This update has been a long time coming. We implemented various capabilities over the last 2 releases that make this possible.

You should probably start by adding child relationship fields to your table so you can test. Look at Step 5 of this tutorialif you need help.

Now to build the filter. I’m filtering our opportunities by the product name in the line items that are part of the opportunity.

1. Create a subquery condition. The first condition looks like this:

Field: Opportunity ID
Operator: IN
Value: Result of subquery, Join object: OpportunityLineItem, Field: OpportunityID
State: Filterable default off, provide name of your choosing .

2. Create the subcondition. Select the “Add Block” icon next to the condition name. The subcondition look like this:

Field: The field you want to filter on.
Operator: Is
Value: Leave Blank
State: Filterable default off, provided name of your choosing.

3. Add a New Model that will provide Picklist Values. The SubCondition field will not be able to pass its metadata into the filter to create the picklist values. So we have to create a model for picklist values. I use aggreate models for this.

Model properties: Advanced, Choose Aggregate Model
Don’t choose any aggregations or conditions
Groupings: Choose the field name for your filter. I adjust the alias so it is exactly the same as the field name.

4. Build the Filter. Add a filter to the table.

**A: Primary Filter properties. **
Type: Select Option
Conditions to Affect: The subquery condition (number 2 above)

B: Filter Source properties
Source Type: Rows in a model. Choose the source model.
Important: In “which conditions will this source option affect” choose “Default Condition and others”
This exposes a Coffee Cup Icon which you should push.

**C: Additional Effects Propoerties: **
Action: Activate
Condition: The primary condition (number 1 above).

**5. Enjoy your results. ** Now you have a filter on the child data.

Is there anyway to use a multi-select filter on child relationships? I have the single select working, but really could use multi-select. 

There is not currently a way to to choose a child relationship field for a multiselect filter.  Sorry

I know it can’t be done via the page constructor, but could I edit the XML to accomplish it?

Would it be possible to change the sub condition to be “in the set of values” instead of “is” and changed the filter to be multi-select in the XML?

Sorry Craig - this will not work.  This is not just somthing missing in the composer - its more fundamental code that is not in place at this point. 

Gotcha, I understand.

I do sometimes have issues with this way of filtering. When I go to clear the filter, it does not always clear correctly. And filtering on two different child relationships gives me inconsistent results as well. Have you seen this at all? I can go into more detail if need be.