Lookup filter appears broken in Brooklyn

edited February 4, 2020 in Questions
I'm having trouble getting the lookup filter to pull the correct options when using the "in" condition in conjunction with another model's records.  

For example, On a page I have a model for ObjectA, which is above another model for ObjectB. Somewhere on my page I have listed out the records in my model for ObjectA, so I know that there are multiple records listed.  I have a popup with a field editor for ObjectB on it.  On this field editor there is a lookup field to a record from ObjectA, rendered as a dropdown list.  On the filter for this field I have configured that the ID of the dropdown for ObjectA should be IN the "field from another model" source Model ObjectA, source field Id. When I do this, all the records in the database show up in the dropdown filter, not just the ones that are actually listed in ObjectA model.  If I change the IN to = then just the first record from the ObjectA model is accessible in the lookup field's dropdown (this would be the expected result, although not what I need).  

This page was working as expected before my system was updated to 9.3 (previously on 8.15.8) 

Is there another way around this? Or is this a known bug with a fix that is in the roadmap?

Thanks
Susan

Comments

  • Mark DeSimoneMark DeSimone 🛠️ 
    edited February 4, 2020
    Hi Susan, yes, this is the result of a known issue in Brooklyn - Iteration 3. We don't have a timeframe for this yet, but our engineering team is definitely aware and we will let you know here when more information is available. 
  • Jack SanfordJack Sanford San Antonio, TX 💎💎
    edited January 12, 2018
    Pretty big problem for us. Hope it gets fixed. In the meantime when we are able to discover that a page is having this issue, we've changed the Option Source to a specific Model on the Search tab, which fixes then (as long as you remember to enter a field in the Display Template).
  • Khamla PhimmachackKhamla Phimmachack 🛠️ 
    edited March 10, 2017

    Thank you for your patience as we addressed this bug. This issue has been resolved in the Brooklyn Update 1 - Iteration 2 and Brooklyn - Iteration 6 releases which are now available from the Skuid Releases page

    As a reminder, Salesforce does NOT allow reverting back to prior versions of managed packages. Skuid always recommends installing new versions in a non-business critical sandbox environment to test all mission critical functionality before installing into a production environment. We also recommend that you update out of date themes when you upgrade.

    Thanks!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!