Sort Table with Drag and Drop

Matt SonesMatt Sones 💎💎💎
edited June 29, 2020 in Ideas
Finally implemented jQuery .sortable() to enable drag-and-drop reordering on a skuid table. turned out to be much simpler than I expected! 

I have an Order__c field on the object which starts at index 1, and I'm just updating that field after every reorder.

Here's my inline javascript:

(function(skuid){
var $ = skuid.$;
$(document.body).one('pageload',function(){
var component = skuid.$C('MyComponentId'),
   listContents = component && component.element.find('.nx-list-contents');
listContents.sortable({
   placeholder: "ui-state-highlight",
   stop: function( event, ui ) {
       var data = ui.item.data('object'),
           model = data.list.model,
           movedRow = data.row,
           target = $(event.target);

target.children().each(function(index,tr){
           var row =  $(tr).data('object').row,
               order = row.Order__c;
          if (index + 1 !== order) {
              model.updateRow(row,'Order__c',index+1,{initiatorId:component._GUID});
          }
       });

}
});
});
})(skuid);

Here's the table in action:

12 votes

Awaiting Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Pat VachonPat Vachon 💎💎💎
    edited June 25, 2020
    Very slick. Going to use this for sure!
  • edited March 2, 2017
    The one problem with this solution is that it makes tables with textareas in them uneditable or selectable.
  • Matt SonesMatt Sones 💎💎💎
    edited December 7, 2016
    Hmm, even if you click on the 'edit' row action?
  • edited August 31, 2016
    Yes, it blocks the rich text panel that comes up.
  • edited October 15, 2019
    I love this and can work around the inline editing of the text. Thanks!
  • Karen WaldschmittKaren Waldschmitt 🛠️ 
    edited March 2, 2017
    Matt~

This is very cool!

Thanks for sharing with the community :)
    Karen
  • edited August 31, 2016
    Karen, can you file the rich text issue as a bug with skuid?
  • Pat VachonPat Vachon 💎💎💎
    edited June 25, 2020
    Works great. I additional save the model after setting the index.
    // Sprint Work Drag & Drop reorder      var component = skuid.$C('sk-39dlIj-483'),          listContents = component && component.element.find('.nx-list-contents');            listContents.sortable({          placeholder: "ui-state-highlight",          stop: function( event, ui ) {              var data = ui.item.data('object'),                  model = data.list.model,                  movedRow = data.row,                  target = $(event.target);                           target.children().each(function(index,tr){                  var row =  $(tr).data('object').row,                      order = row.Sprint_Rank__c;                  if (index + 1 !== order) {                      model.updateRow(row,'Sprint_Rank__c',index+1,{initiatorId:component._GUID});                  }                });                  $.blockUI();                  $.when( model.save() )                      .done(function(){                          $.unblockUI();                      });                     }      });
    edited December 21, 2016
    John~

Clarification question: Is this specific to when you use Matt's snippet or to tables in general? 

Thanks!
    Karen
  • edited August 31, 2016
    This is anytime you apply a JQuery UI sortable to a skuid table.
  • Amy DewaalAmy Dewaal ✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018
    John,

Have you tried tabbing over to the rich text area? 

Thanks!
    Amy
  • edited August 31, 2016
    You can tab over but you can't click into it. It's not really an acceptable solution to train users to do this.
  • edited June 19, 2017
    I found a workaround for the rich text issue: use a handle for the sortable action. Add a row action with no actions and put in the class of the icon. Here is code with the handle, save and requery: (function(skuid){ var $ = skuid.$; $(document.body).one('pageload',function(){ var component = skuid.$C('johntt'), listContents = component && component.element.find('.nx-list-contents'); listContents.sortable({ placeholder: "ui-state-highlight", handle: '.fa-ellipsis-v', stop: function( event, ui ) { var data = ui.item.data('object'), model = data.list.model, movedRow = data.row, target = $(event.target); target.children().each(function(index,tr){ var row = $(tr).data('object').row, order = row.Order__c; if (index + 1 !== order) { model.updateRow(row,'Order__c',index+1,{initiatorId:component._GUID}); } }); $.blockUI(); $.when(model.save()).done(function(){ model.updateData(function(){ $.unblockUI(); }); }); } }); }); })(skuid);
  • edited August 9, 2016
    Clever workaround! I like it
  • Amy DewaalAmy Dewaal ✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018
    John,

I'm glad you found a workaround, and thanks for sharing it with the community!

Thanks!
    Amy
    edited December 7, 2016
    Perfect! I'm definitely implementing the handle. Thanks, John!
  • edited August 9, 2016
    I took this and made a super fancy version :D
  • edited August 31, 2016
    Going further down the fancy rabbit hole I used this http://tobiasahlin.com/spinkit/ to put in a css based spinner
  • SriSri
    edited August 10, 2016
    Matt, this is cool. Will come in very handy
  • edited August 10, 2016
    I remodeled my super fancy version above as a master page snippet invokable from child pages  :D
  • edited January 27, 2017
    This is a dumb question, but how do I do this part:

"I have an Order__c field on the object which starts at index 1, and I'm just updating that field after every reorder."

• edited August 31, 2016
    Add a field called Order to the object and model or rename the field in the javascript to another field you already defined to do this.
  • SegSeg ✭✭
    edited August 31, 2016
    This is an extremely dumb question.... i've put the first presented code as a new in-line snippet, and modified the component Id and the field name...is there anything else I need to do to make it work? 
  • edited September 1, 2016
    It's not a snippet it's an inline code (the option without parenthesis).
  • SegSeg ✭✭
    edited October 12, 2016
    Thanks John! however when i move them the values of the index field remain the same. is it supposed to do that?
  • Craig RosenbaumCraig Rosenbaum ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019
    How do you account for table pagination? For example, when showing rows 6-10 and reordering, it puts the sort order 1-5, ignoring the 1-5 that already exists on the table's first page. Any workaround here or just advising users to 'Show All' before reordering?
    edited July 25, 2017
    Here's the solution:

In the stopHelper function I found the current table page and page size to get my start number.
    component = skuid.$C(tableId),     currentPage = component.list.currentPage,     currentPageSize = component.list.currentPageSize,     startNumber = currentPage * currentPageSize;
    Then, I add that startNumber to the updateRow function:
    model.updateRow(row, orderByFieldApiName, index + 1 + startNumber,       {         initiatorId: component._GUID       });
    edited July 25, 2017
    Nice work, Craig!
    edited July 25, 2017
    Thanks! Always nice to answer your own question. I did notice if you have display all rows set, you need to add some logic to account for the 'All' response from currentPageSize:
     if (isNaN(startNumber)) startNumber = 0;
    edited July 25, 2017
    Always love it when people are able to answer their own question and share their findings with the community. Thanks, Craig!