Banzai chart no longer adding dynamic series

edited March 2017 in Problems
In the previous release you could create a before render snippet and change the series as shown in this post https://community.skuidify.com/skuid/topics/display-chart-series-diff. It appears that in the new Banzai release adding to the series list no longer adds a new series to the chart when it's rendered. The snippet still runs, it just seems that the chart doesn't pickup any newly created series before it is rendered.

Comments

• J.J. ๐Ÿ’Ž
    edited March 2017
    Hi, Justin. That should still be supported, but we did make some changes under the hood for Banzai, so we could have a bug. Care to share that snippet so I can take a closer look?
  • edited September 2015
    Of course, here is the snippet that is currently working in our production environment using the old build. This just keeps a running total of a single series in the chart and adds it as a line. The console log at the end correctly shows the new series being added it just doesn't show up during runtime.
    var chartObj = arguments[0],
    $ = skuid.$;

// figure out how many series there are, since this is
    // for asset flows there would be anywhere from 1 to 4
    // different series
    var assetTypeNumber = chartObj.series.length;

if (assetTypeNumber && assetTypeNumber > 0) {
    var cumulativeAssets = [];
    var sumAssets = 0;

// each series has a data array all of the same size
    for (var i = 0; i < chartObj.series[0].data.length; ++i) {
    for (var j = 0; j < assetTypeNumber; ++j) {
    sumAssets += chartObj.series[j].data[i];
    }

cumulativeAssets.push(sumAssets);
    }

var newSeries = {
    id: 'CumulativeAssets',
    name: 'Cumulative Assets',
    data: cumulativeAssets,
    type: 'column',
    xAxis: chartObj.series[0].xAxis,
    yAxis: chartObj.series[0].yAxis,
    };

// add the new series to the very end of the current
    // chart series
    chartObj.series[chartObj.series.length] = newSeries;

console.log(chartObj);
    }
  • J.J. ๐Ÿ’Ž
    edited March 2017
    Hmmm... Nothing jumps out at me. I took this snippet and pared it down a bit to not rely on a particular data model, added it a column chart and it appears to work:
    var chartObj = arguments[0],  $ = skuid.$,  newSeriesData = [];  for (var i = 0; i < chartObj.series[0].data.length; ++i) {     //  Just use a dummy value     newSeriesData.push((i+1) * 100000); }      chartObj.series[chartObj.series.length] = {     id: 'CumulativeAssets',     name: 'Cumulative Assets',     data: newSeriesData,     type: 'column',     xAxis: chartObj.series[0].xAxis,     yAxis: chartObj.series[0].yAxis, };      console.log(chartObj);
    If you try that snippet, does the extra (bogus) series show up? Does this help shed any more light on why this wouldn't be working?
  • edited September 2015
    Ah.. I see what has changed. So before the series in the chartObj was a simple number array. Now it is an Object with a y property for the value. So as I was just adding the values it was trying to concatenate objects instead of just adding the values together.
  • edited September 2015
    For those interested, in my above snippet if you replace
    sumAssets += chartObj.series[j].data[i];
    with
    sumAssets += chartObj.series[j].data[i].y;
    everything works as expected in Banzai
  • J.J. ๐Ÿ’Ž
    edited March 2017
    Ah! Yes, we did standardize on the config objectย format for series data across all our chart types for Banzai. Previously, each of the categories used a slightly different format. Just a note, it does look like you can mix and match formats within a single chart, but of course, if you've got a snippet that is relying on Skuid constructing your series data in one format or another, it will need to be updated.

Thanks for being a part of our community, Justin!