Any way to create a table with dynamic & editable columns?

I have a situation where I have a parent record, then want to create a table to show records of a child object, but there are a dozen or so record types of the child object. Ideally I’d like the first six or so of the columns to be the same for each record type but on the right end of the table be able to add and edit fields specific to each record type. For some record types I may want one additional field appear, for others it might be three. I can imagine how to do this with formula fields, making the right-side columns read-only in the table, but we want to be able to edit the special/additional columns, too. There would be too many possible columns/fields to practically add all of them to the table, so I’m trying to come up with a sensible way to show the right field for the right record type dynamically in a table column. I could make separate tables appear on the page for each record type instead of one wholistic table, I suppose, but that will take up a lot of screen real estate for all the headers, margins, etc., plus I don’t know how to hide the tables that would not have any rows, either. Any thoughts on a better way to do this?

Here’s a mockup of the idea.

Hi Peter, You’ve probably found a work around by now, but basically the approach isn’t possible. My suggestion would be to try multiple tables on the page, one for each record type. There might be a way in Java to hide the tables when no records are present.

Have you tried the new Brooklyn release? It supports the ability to show/hide and re-order columns.

http://help.skuid.com/m/components/l/102560-table#More-about-Table-Settings