How to package skuid pages and push/deploy to scratch org

1. I like where you are going Sam. Source Oriented development is where you want to be. SFDX is the bomb. But it adds some interesting complexity to the situation. Here are some thoughts.

Because Skuid Metadata (pages) are not recognized by the SFDC Metadata API you cannot simply put them in the package.xml and get them deployed. Sorry.

2. So you have to deploy your pages as a separate step. Using the sfdx force:source:push command is one way to do this. But as you have found it has to occur after your primary package implementation.
  3. One solution I've seen is the creation of a larger shell script that does multiple implementation steps. You clone the repo - run the shell script and it does the package install and the skuid page implementation.

I’m pretty sure that packages can define “post install steps” where Apex is run. You could use our Page Unpack apex methods (as described here

1. )

The core issue is that Skuid page metadata is really “data” for salesforce. So you can look at how others are doing data installation as part of their sfdx packaging process. The idea of “Data as metdata” is common with CPQ apps and other complicated configuration utilities. Deployment and distributed development using these apps is tough.

I’d love to hear what you come up with. Its a topic that I continue to follow here, and want to work to make better.